About Me

Monday, August 25, 2008

Nice Sac!

A few years back, I remember watching The Oprah Show. It was one of those episodes where viewers write in and ask Oprah odd questions. I remember one of the questions was, “Oprah, what do you carry in your purse?” While watching the show, my immediate reaction was – that woman doesn’t carry a purse! Oprah can afford an assistant who carries it for her. Besides, even if she didn't have an item in her purse, but she fancied something at any moment in time, she has another assistant to run out and fetch it for her. I remember she had every fancy, name brand product a person could stuff in a purse. And of course, she was carrying around nothing but that season’s hottest Gucci bag – no doubts it was compliments of Gucci! In any regard, I recently had a co-worker ask me about my man purse, and the contents therein. I thought I would let you see the contents of my “DePaul Cares” tote bag, which I schlep around with me on a daily basis. It’s not nearly as fancy as Oprah’s Gucci bag, but just the same, mine was also free – and much more practical.

Poncho – For those days when I’m riding on Bixby, and I’m almost certain I can beat the storm on the horizon. I inevitably lose, but the poncho is always pulled from the bag, and tossed on to shield myself from the rain and spray from passing automobiles. It truly is a lifesaver.

Sunglasses – The Thailand sun is brutal, but what’s worse than that is having rain pelt you in the eyes while you are driving on your motorbike. So, unless it’s dark outside, I am almost always in my sunglasses, shielding my baby blues from the Thai elements.

Umbrella – For those days when I decide to leave Bixby resting in the “car park” at my apartment, and I decide to brave the heat and insanity of the Lampang thoroughfare. It’s an umbrella from the GAP, which has surprisingly survived years of storms in Chicago and continues to prove itself in the torrential down pours of Thailand.

Latest Book -- I always carry my book with me wherever I go. If there is one thing I've discovered about Thailand, it's that nothing starts on time. With that, no one is ever on tiime for appointments, meetings or rendezvous. I have made some major dents in reading just by waiting for people or events to start.

Purell Hand Sanitizer – Thailand is not known for it’s excessive hygiene. They do not concern themselves with washing hands, or wiping things down with Clorox wipes. Depending on where you go, you can be lucky to have running water. Therefore, I am always prepared for those days when you wish you had soap, but there is none to be found in a 30km radius. Bust out the Purell Hand Sanitizer, and I’m good to go. Just a dab will do ya!

Roll of Toilet Paper – After my first day in Bangkok, I quickly knew how valuable this item would be to have with me at ALL times. Imagine if you will, you’ve just eaten a very spicy Thai dinner. It was delicious! While you are picking your teeth clean with the toothpicks at the dinner table, you quickly discover that maybe you should have only done 3 peppers in that last dish, and not the requested 5. All of a sudden your stomach begins to cramp, twist, and then “the sweats” begin! We’ve all been there before – the worst being when it happens on a date – no hook-up for you! In the States, you’d excuse yourself and let nature bellow out of you with the thunderous roar of a Bengal Tiger. In Thailand, you can step away from the table with your sphincter fully clenched, and shimmy to the bathroom as quickly as possible. I suggest praying to Buddha, Allah, God, & the Virgin Mary herself, that the bathroom you are about to enter has all of the Western amenities – a flushing toilet, a fanny hose, toilet paper; heck, even a door that closes properly. Let’s say you get to the bathroom and you discover that it’s a “squatter” and there is a bucket of water next to you … and nothing else. What do you do? (For those of you that don’t know the definition of a “squatter” – imagine the most basic toilet you could possible have: a porcelain hole in the ground.) This is a true scenario and could be you, my friend, when you visit Thailand. I will leave it at – be thankful you carry a roll of toilet paper and the Purel Hand Sanitizer. It’s not an ideal situation, but imagine the alternative. Just a reminder – the left hand is seen as dirty in Asian culture for a VERY specific reason!

No comments: