About Me

Friday, August 1, 2008

My Very Own Book Club

I recently met some very fun backpackers from the Peace Corps (PC) who were passing through town on holiday. They were both doing their service in Micronesia and living on very small and remote islands with not much entertainment, let alone running water, electricity, or other amenities. I thought I could sympathize with my current position, but their station in the middle of the ocean made Lampang look like Las Vegas during Super Bowl Weekend. We spent a few nights together, and I learned that one of the ways they spent their free time was by reading books. The one woman told me that she had read 99 books to date. If you figure that her time with the PC is done in October, and it's a two year comittment, she has read about 1 book a week. That is pretty impressive. She claims to have journaled all the books so as to keep track of the ones she read during her time there.

Taking her lead, I have decided to start "My Very Own Book Club." I have added a list to the side of the Blog that details which books I have finished, and which one I am currently reading. For those of you who are interested in reading along with me, I will populate the list with the most current book at the top. Right now, I am about 100 pages into 100 Years of Solitude, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (to be finished by the end of the weekend). If you think you are up to the challenge, I have to warn you -- I have nothing but free time. Also, the book list is based on books that are readily available, which in Lampang, Thailand, is very difficult. Therefore, this list will probably be very random.

My goal: surpass the readership and cult-like following of Oprah's Book Club. That's right Oprah -- watch out! I'm hot on your heels!

No comments: