About Me

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Top 10 List

Top 10 things I wish I had done prior to my departure for The Kingdom of Thailand.

10) Learn the basics of the language – you will inevitably need them at some point during your trip, even if you are there to teach your native language.

9) Buy a dictionary for translation – the simplest words are often the hardest ones to explain.

8) Diversify your packing wardrobe – there’s a reason life in US prisons are dull – it’s the same wardrobe every day.

7) Contact someone about the program you are about to embark upon – unless of course, you like unpleasant surprises.

6) Talk to a native from the country you are about to visit – most often they’ll help you not make an ass out of yourself.

5) Talk to a US native who is familiar with the Southeast Asian culture – most likely they’ll tell you how they made an ass out of themselves.

4) Map Quest & Google Maps the hell out of your future destination – print it, know it, laminate it, and keep it with you at all times. Nothing worse than being lost in a city where no one speaks your language and you have no idea how to get back to where you need to be.

3) Know the difference between need and want, and only pack what you need.

2) If you insist on buying new shoes for the adventure – take some time to break them in prior to arriving at your destination. Nothing screams “Quarantined at US Customs” quite like feet infected from open wounds.

1) Gain at least 50lbs prior to your departure; because once that dysentery sets in, your body will need to feast on something.

1 comment:

DavidJosephBaldwin said...

It was a great surprise to me to find that Google Maps and Mapquest don't exist in China! I now collect Tourist maps from hotels, guide books and magazines when I find them. The best ones have things written in Chinese characters AND English, so both my taxi driver and I can understand where I want to go! I'm still looking for a small folded map, laminated, with popular locations printed in both languages. I'm sure I'll find the perfect one during my last week here. :-)