About Me

Monday, June 23, 2008

Learn I Good & Teach Me Well

Today was my first day at school, and what a day it was! I arrived to school at 09:00AM, after being picked up by a school colleague. I quickly learned that walking to school would not be an option, as the distance is well over 4km (2.5miles for my Western counterparts). Normally I’d scoff at walking 2.5 miles, but when I am drenched head to toe in sweat from simply walking down 3 flights of stairs – I know 2.5 miles will be a hot mess. A good friend once embodied these words of wisdom on me.
When you are in a foreign place, you should ask two questions when asking someone for directions.

1. Can I walk there?
2. Have YOU ever walked there from here?


If they respond “no” to the second question – immediately find another mode of transportation.
I utilized these words of wisdom by asking my colleague those very same questions. Guess what? – I’m not walking to school anytime soon. It’s all the more reason to get myself a scooter.
I arrive at the Lampang College of Commerce & Technology (LCCT), and the campus immediately impresses me. Based on my experiences at the Bangkok school, I was pleasantly surprised to find such a picturesque campus at LCCT. Now mind you, it’s no UC Berkeley, but it is a large campus with at least 4 separate buildings for classrooms, a quadrangle equipped with a fountain and benches, as well as outdoor spaces for lunch and activities. For all intensive purposes, it could be the backdrop for the new Beverly Hills 90210, and most people would be none the wiser (residents of Beverly Hills or greater LA-region excluded). The majority of the student population appears to be females between the ages of fifteen and eighteen. I am given a quick tour of the campus, classrooms, offices, and introduced to several individuals whose names I was unable to pronounce.
The next order of business – my class schedule, roster, and curriculum goals. I am unsure of how I feel about my course schedule, but I suppose that’s the luck of coming in mid-term – last pick for classes. And then … I am quickly ushered to my first scheduled class for the day. That’s right, first day as an ELL teacher, and I am in the classroom teaching English to non-native speakers. No textbook, no curriculum, no time for curriculum preparation – just thrown into the Thai snake pit, and you know the country is known for the King Cobra. I have never felt so exposed in my life – standing in front of a group of students, ill prepared and completely unsure of what to do. Well, I taught about a subject I am very well versed in – ME! That’s right – an hour of learning about my background, education, my prior life in Chicago, family, friends – you name it. I had two classes today and this was my curriculum for both. By the time 14:00PM came around, I was exhausted! However exhausted, I did manage to get myself some textbooks and throw together a quick lesson plan for my courses tomorrow. I will not be caught unprepared again.
During my classes today, I discovered a few different things about teaching ELL (English language learners) students. I discovered how quickly I speak in English. I began speaking with these students the same way I would have spoken with my student-staff employees at DePaul, or the same way I speak with my friends & family. It was not until I began to receive blank stares from my students in English level 3 that I finally had a student request that I slow down. Additionally, I found myself being very cognizant of my word choices, and grammar usage. I was amazed at my vernacular, especially when I am unconscious of my audience. I am finding myself only speaking when necessary, and with proper English. And let me tell you – proper English does not include words like, yeah, gotcha, or uh-huh. These might be useful terms when speaking with individuals who are native to the language, but it only confuses ELL students. I also discovered myself thinking more intentionally of how to appropriately communicate thoughts and ideas, while using the least amount of words. I have a feeling this will be only the beginning of some very valuable lessons – both in and outside the classroom.
I had a few assumptions as I began this experience. One such assumption was that the Thai students would be further along with their English Language skills. At this point, I am finding that assumption to be incorrect. I also assumed that I would not need to know Thai, at least not to the caliber in which I find myself needing it on a daily basis. My goal is that by the end of the term, I will have increased my Thai language skills, same as my students will have increased their English language skills.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yay, Muff, you survived your first day of class.. Sounds like you're gonna be just fine over there. Miss you a ton already!