About Me

Monday, June 30, 2008

I Wanna Puppy!

Over the past couple of days, a few new vendors have popped up around the Asawin Market. For clarification, the Asawin Market is the market that is closest to my apartment (Vegan & Vegetarian Nightmare). Anyway, while I was out in the market last week, I noticed a little stand selling puppies. A small little cage with four puppies laying on top. The cutest things you have ever seen. I have noticed this same stand since then – each day dwindling in existence as the puppies find a new owner. Today, I continued walking through the market and stumbled across a booth with cages of puppies. I’m not sure if all the bitches are in heat during the rainy season, or if this is birthing season here on the other side of the world, but either way, there are more puppy stands. Five cages to be exact. Each cage with a different grouping of dogs. None of them barking, which I found very strange. Only jumping toward the top of the cage and begging for attention. My curiosity got the best of me – I had to go over and at least pet one. There was a cage of what can best be described as golden retrievers, though I’m sure they are not certified by the AKA, or even TKA certified – if there is such a thing. I was quickly greeted by a Thai gentleman, who eagerly opened the cage and pulled one out for me. I set my items on the ground and held this little ball of golden fuzz. He just sat there and let me pet him. No barking or licking or any of the annoying things puppies usually do. He was simply content with being held. The Thai vendor informed me that I could have him for 1000 Baht ($30). Let me tell you, the last thing you want to do when you are listening to your “inner-child” is go shopping for puppies. It took every ounce of logic, self-control, and adult rationale, in order to not be overcome with complete emotion and indulge in the one thing I’ve always wanted as a child. My inner child was screaming; throwing a temper-tantrum on the floor of this market – refusing to leave unless I bought this for him. I had to kindly thank the vendor and hand the puppy back, at which point he started shouting out lower prices in Thai. I smiled politely, picked up my things from the floor, as well as my screaming child, and walked away – child still kicking and screaming with every step. I let logic rule, and continued on with what I initially set out to do – find dinner. I am not ruling out the idea of getting a puppy, I would just want to make sure that I am able to bring it with me once I am done with this experience in Thailand. That, along with a whole host of other questions I would need to answer prior to purchasing. Right now, I need to focus on more pressing issues – like finding a new place to live, and how to speak Thai. My inner-child will have to wait, but in the meantime, I bought him dessert.

3 comments:

Ethan said...

Gatsby and I say "Go for it". As I am sure you know though it is a big responsibility.....I am just trying to counteract your inner child!!! Ok, I will stop with the mom routine now.

DavidJosephBaldwin said...

I'm told that they have the same thing here: Puppies are taken from their mother before they are weaned and sold out of bags on the street. Unfortunately, because they're so young, they frequently don't live very long. But they're REALLY cute at that age. I think you can bring a dog back to the US; it just has to go through a quarantine period.

That being said, having a dog is a wonderful thing. I miss Puck a lot--I have a picture of him up at my desk!

Meredith said...

ignore your inner child! Don't buy a puppy... what will you do with in when you want to go away for a weekend or longer.....